Immunodiagnostics Section Head
Research InterestsClinical virology; ecology and epidemiology of infectious diseases of cats and dogs; herd biosecurity for infectious diseases of livestock; evolution of emerging viral infections of veterinary and zoonotic concern.
Investigative research revolves around four main areas. These include:
- herd biosecurity (BVD PI detection, Johnes disease surveillance, BLV herd control, and Neospora monitoring);
- interspecies spread of viruses between cats and dogs in domestic and wild environments (CPV-FPL molecular epidemiology, canine and feline calicivirus carrier status, and canine and feline morbillivirus ecology);
- detection of emerging infections, such as canine leptospirosis, and coronaveral infections of wild canids and felids;
- investigations of vaccination failures, which includes analysis of host immune response and pathogenic properties of viruses causing disease in the face of immunization.
- Evermann JF, Leathers CW, Gorham JR, McKeirnan AJ, Appel MJ (2001) Pathogenesis of two strains of lion (Panthera leo) morbillivirus in ferrets (Mustela putorius furo) Vet Pathol 38(3):311-6 PMID: 11355661 PMCID:
- Evermann JF (2001) Pregnancy-associated immunodeficiency. Large Animal Internal Medicine SmithBO ed. Mosby, St. Louis. Pp 1603-1604 PMID: PMCID:
- Evermann JF and Benfield D (2001) Coronaviral Infections of Wildlife Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals Williams E et al. eds. Iowa State University Press. Pp 245-253 PMID: PMCID:
- Evermann JF, McKeirnan AJ, Gorham JR (2001) Interspecies spread of viruses between dogs and cats Compend Cont. Educ. Prac. Vet PMID: PMCID:
- Everman J.F., Howard TH, Knowles DJ, et. al. (2000) Controversies and clarifications regarding bovine lentivirus infections. JAVMA 217(9):1318-24 PMID: 11061383 PMCID:
- Wolff PL, Schroeder C, McAdoo C, Cox M, Nelson DD, Evermann JF, Ridpath JF (2016) Evidence of Bovine viral diarrhea virus Infection in Three Species of Sympatric Wild Ungulates in Nevada: Life History Strategies May Maintain Endemic Infections in Wild Populations. Front Microbiol doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.00292 PMID: 27014215 PMCID: PMC4783583
- Nelson DD, Duprau JL, Wolff PL, Evermann JF (2016) Persistent Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus Infection in Domestic and Wild Small Ruminants and Camelids Including the Mountain Goat (Oreamnos americanus). Front Microbiol doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2015.01415. Review. PMID: 26779126 PMCID: PMC4703785
- LeCuyer TE, Rink A, Bradway DS, Evermann JF, Nicola AV, Baszler T, Haldorson GJ (2015) Abortion in a Mediterranean miniature donkey (Equus asinus) associated with a gammaherpesvirus similar to Equid herpesvirus 7. J Vet Diagn Invest 749-53. doi: 10.1177/1040638715611444 PMID: 26462760 PMCID:
- Evverman JF, Ridpath IF (2002) Clinical and epidemiologic observations of bovine viral diarrhea virus in the northwestern United States Vet. Microbiol 89(2-3):129-39. PMID: 12243890 PMCID: