Pathologist, Clinical Assistant Professor
- BS: Animal Science, University of Delaware, 2003
- DVM: Atlantic Veterinary College, PEI, Canada, 2009
- Residency: Veterinary Anatomic Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, 2012
- PhD: Integrative Pathobiology, University of California, Davis, 2016
Surgical biopsy and necropsy service for the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
VM535 Veterinary Virology
My research and collaborative research interests are in understanding the pathogeneses of naturally occurring viral diseases of domestic animals, and important anatomical reservoirs of viral persistence. My previous investigations have focused on two feline viruses of clinical importance, feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) and feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV).
- Eckstrand CD, Hillman C, Murphy BG. (2016) Sequence instability in the proviral long terminal repeat and gag regions from peripheral blood and tissue-derived leukocytes of FIV-infected cats during the late asymptomatic phase. Vet Sci. 3, 10.
- Eckstrand CD, Hillman C, Smith AL, Sparger EE, Murphy BG. (2016) Viral reservoirs in lymph nodes of FIV-infected progressor and long-term non-progressor cats during the asymptomatic phase. PLos One. 11(1):e0146285.
- Sinclair KM, Eckstrand CD, Moore PF, Hawkins MG. (2016) Epitheliotropic T-cell alimentary lymphoma with concurrent insulinoma and adrenocortical carcinoma in a domestic ferret (Mustela putorius furo). J Exot Pet Med. 25(1):34-43.
- Pedersen NC, Eckstrand CD, Liu H, Leutenegger C, Murphy G. (2015) Levels of feline infectious peritonitis virus in blood, effusions and various tissues in experimentally infected cats. Vet Micro. 175(2-4):157-66.
- Alwen SG, Culp WT, Szivek A, Mayhew PD, Eckstrand CD. (2015) Portal site metastasis after thoracoscopic cranial mediastinal mass resection in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 247(7):793-800.
- Eckstrand CD, Woods LW, Diab SS, Crossley BM, Giannitti F. (2015) Diagnostic exercise: High mortality in a flock of chukar partridge chicks (Alectoris chukar) in California. Vet Pathol. 52(1):189-92.
- Wheeler SS, Woods LW, Boyce WM, Eckstrand CD, Langevin SA, Reisen WK, Townsend AK. (2014) West Nile virus and non-West Nile virus mortality and coinfection of American crows (Coryus brachyrhynchos) in the Sacramento Valley, CA. Avian Dis. 58(2):255-61.
- Eckstrand CD, Castillo D, McDonnel SJ, Hillman CN, Vapniarsky N, Shanthalingam S, de las Heras M, Murphy BG. (2013) Primary enzootic nasal tumor virus promoter isolates are transcriptionally active in human and caprine cell lines. Am J Vet Res. 74(11):1421-7.
- Eckstrand CD, Barr BC, Woods LW, Spangler T, Murphy BG. (2013) Nematode-associated intramural alimentary nodules in pumas are histologically similar to gastrointestinal eosinophilic sclerosing fibroplasia in domestic cats. J Comp Pathol. 148(4):405-9.